Hello to the Blogosphere. I know we’ve been seemingly out of commission for quite some time, but the hectic overkill that is junior year is coming to a close, and we will hopefully be getting back to you more regularly. This has been the year of the anti-witch for Misty and myself. We have had the least amount of time to dedicate to The Craft imaginable. We still try to brush up on our tarot in study halls, but it has become so difficult to keep up with our monthly spells. Perhaps Misty has been a bit more active than I have, but I know for sure that I have been shirking and I’m disappointed in myself.
So recently I went on a Big Wiccan Shopping Extravaganza. Well, it wasn’t that big, but I got some supplies and I’m ready to get back to it. Anyways, among the things that I got (a few candles, some dragon’s blood, a cauldron) was a scrying mirror. I know that they tend to be outrageously expensive (trust me, I know; we sell them where I work), but I bought one with a broken design for half off. The mirror itself was in perfect condition. Anyways, I’ve been playing around with it but I haven’t really gotten anywhere. So, I thought I would do some research and share with all of you.
Okay, the number one rule of mirror scrying is to make sure that you cannot see any reflections in the mirror, especially yourself. So in general, you should place the mirror slightly in front of you on a flat surface parallel to the floor. The mirror needs to be clean and free of dust particles and all that. You can clean it with alcohol and a soft cloth. In general, others should not be allowed to look into your mirror, and it should be stored in a black bag when not in use.
Scrying, as I have figured out, is hard. You have to prepare yourself and practice a LOT before you can even get into the right state of mind. Usually, meditation is a good way to get into a “scrying state of mind.” You want to be able to see with your third eye, not your actual eyes (if that makes any sense) so you must relax your eyes. Now, you’ll meditate and get all ready…and nothing will happen. Don’t fret. Like I said, it takes time…a lot of time. The mirror tends to work best at the new and full moons, but you can scry whenever you want (nighttimes is best). Lighting votive candles next to the mirror can help channel certain energies (orange for healing, red for love, etc. (see our candle blog for more info)). Some websites suggests lighting psychic blend incense to help. In general, though, the main things you need to scry are yourself, the mirror, and a dark room (candle light is okay). Again, nothing should reflect in the mirror. Casting a protection circle before beginning is never a bad idea either.
Once you’re all set up, the steps to scrying are as follows:
- Have a purpose. What are you hoping to see while scrying? Keep this in mind throughout the process, and try not to lose focus.
- Relax. Breathe in and out; meditate; feel yourself enter into a light trance.
- Open your eyes and look into the mirror. You can blink as much as you need to, but keep your eyes relaxed and your mind alert. Soon, the surface will begin to shift and change, and a dark mist will appear.
- Keep your mind open. Your third eye has now been awakened, but you will not see things directly in the mirror. The mirror is a gateway to the other planes. Most of what you see will be in your mind’s eye.
- When you’ve completed your journey, slowly return back to the human plane. Do not abruptly break the trance. Begin breathing and feel yourself returning to this world.
Now, some of you (like me) will still have trouble seeing things. There are a few tips to help with this, but they must be practiced regularly. Sit in front of your mirror and picture different objects, one at a time. Keep your eyes open and try to see them as if they were reality. Try to see simple colors and shapes first, and keep visualizing them for about one minute each before dissolving them and moving onto the next. Spend about 15 to 20 minutes a day doing this until you have mastered it.
If you’re worried about negative energies invading your mirror and clouding your vision, here is another tip. Before you begin scrying, visualize a white light gathering within you. When the light is full and strong, project it into the mirror. This will purify the mirror and protect it from negative energy. You can repeat this process until the mirror feels full of positive energy. This process can also be done with different colored light to invoke certain energies into the mirror before beginning. Invoking energies can help your scrying to go more smoothly because it guides the mirror toward your purpose. When you are finished scrying, be sure to remove the light from the mirror and disperse it into the universe. Do not take it into yourself.
For a black scrying mirror, there is a general procedure to help the mirror hold a charge. It is called a fluid condenser. It is basically a mix of fluids and herbs, and can be used on any magickal tools. You can put whatever you want into the fluid; whatever will draw the energy you are looking for. For example, adding silver can invoke the power of the moon and the goddess for followers of Dianic wicca. You can apply this fluid to the mirror to recharge it, then clean it off with alcohol or distilled water.
To make a fluid condenser:
- Gather your herbs. See the herb list below, found on the internet, for ideas of herbs to add.
- Place the herbs in a pot of water. Add enough water to cover the contents completely, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down the flame and let it simmer for an hour. Leave the pot lid on.
- Let the mixture cool, then strain it through a cheesecloth. Put the remainder of the liquid back into the pot and let simmer until 1/4 of the original liquid is left.
- When this is cool, add gold tincture and essence of moonstone or silver tincture to represent the god and goddess (gold chloride/gold salts can be used in place of real gold, and whole moonstones can be added)
- Place all ingredients in a sterile container and add isopropyl alcohol as a preservative. If kept in an airtight container, the condenser can last for years. For those of you that are adventurous and want really strong condensers, add a few drops of your blood to the mixture. Whole quartz crystals will keep the mixture clear.
“For the water element: elder flowers, water lily, orris root, white rose, willow, cucumber seeds, jasmine
For the fire element: red poppy, cinnamon bark, bay leaves, orange peel, rosemary, marigold, galangal, damiana, tobacco, nutmeg
For the earth element: oak, ivy, cypress, mugwort, vervain, patchouli herb, wheat, primrose
For the air element: mistletoe, acacia, clover, pine, sage, lavender, verbena For spirit: gold, blood, crystal
For healing: juniper, thyme, mandrake, tansy, elder, coriander, lavender, life-everlasting, sage, cypress
For universal fluid condenser: chamomile, dittany of Crete, ivy, oak leaves, bay leaves, almonds, cypress, clover, grape leaves, rose petals, mugwort, jasmine, vervain, mandrake root” (dailywicca.com)